It happened this weekend…it happens quite often really. We were at the bar (my husband and I), having a couple of beers and watching the Kentucky/Wisconsin game. We live in a small town but we keep our social circle pretty small. A lady that we don’t know all that well was visiting us. She asked the question, the same one we get over and over again.
At least once a month, if not every couple of weeks, someone asks it. Everyone is so entranced by our situation.
You see, we live in a small town. People have expectations. Getting married, have kids, repeat (the kid part, not the marriage part).
“So, you guys have been married almost 5 years and don’t have kids yet? Why not,” she asked. I keep telling my husband I am going to come up with a doozey of an answer but am too fearful of karma to ever let the words actual leave the shelter of my lips.
It’s strange here for a couple of our age (like we are SO old or something) to not have dipped into the world of parenthood. But, alas, here we are, on the verge of celebrating 5 years of marriage and we are kidless.
So, let me guess, now you want to know why too?!
I am not exactly certain that I can pinpoint a specific answer but rather just a random list.
- Sure, we’ve been married nearly 5 years (you want me to say that a few more times?) but Husband (I haven’t come up with a good nickname for him yet, any thoughts?) just turned 30 and I’m only 26…we’ve still got some life left in us, trust me.
- We are super random and like to do super random things. Can this be done with kids? I’m sure it can but it’s gotta be tougher to load up and head out without a second thought.
- We have lived in this house 7 years. At this point, some updates need to be done…painting…flooring…a stairway banister that is a little (or lot) less dangerous.
- We are both pretty career driven and have a lot going on there which seems to be our priority right now.
- We have this dog who thinks he is a human. Sharing the attention of the actual humans may not been on his list of “Things to do to have a super great time.”
- Our friends haven’t had kids yet.
- We only have one shower and it’s in the master bathroom.
- Our brothers seem to be doing a good job of keep the family names going.
- There is still kitty cat wallpaper in the room that we would use as a nursery.
- I really hoped that my grandparents would get to meet our kiddos. They have both passed so now there seems like less of a rush.
- Some days we struggle to decide what to have for dinner so we subsist on peanut butter and jelly. Not exactly sure that is approved by Michelle Obama’s “MyPlate” initiative.
- Two words: diaper blowouts
- We might actually have to put food in the second refrigerator instead of just beer.
- And…most importantly…because PEOPLE KEEP ASKING!
Ok, in all honesty, we have talked about having kids and neither one of us have had the calling to have them right now. We talk about it somewhat candidly here and there. I am sure one day, we will take the plunge…I’m just not sure when that day will be.
In the meantime, I am really working on a great comeback with no karma induced consequences. If you are reading this and have wondered, please quit asking. We will gladly be that strange couple until the urge really strikes us!
Do you have kiddos? Did people ask you 1,439,230 questions about having kids before you had them?